Recapitulate the instructions given by the Apex Court for police reforms in NK Singh & Prakash Singh case and discuss the challenges faced in implementing these reforms.
BASIC CRUX OF THE QUESTION
• Describe why there is a need for police reforms in the country, and elaborate what is the current position of law and order related to the effective policing tactics.
• As mentioned in the second part of the question, Supreme Court judgment in the NK Singh & Prakash Singh case and case findings must be discussed.
• Furthermore, elaborate it with whether these findings are their implementation is fruitful for the actual use- states its pros and cons of the directives and facilitates with the conditions examples.
• Introduction: Initially one should write about the need for the police reforms as well as, why this issue has amplifies in the apex court for hearing?
• Body text:Unfold the findings of the case and Supreme Court judgments in regard with the police reforms. What are the challenges faced by the government while implementing this policy in the real ground.
• Conclusion:State, how it varies by state to state, and moreover the geopolitical border plays an challenging factor to describe its utility.
The need of the police reforms is long recognized in India. Numerous committees and commissions have been formed to look into reforming the police reforms the police and policing, out of which the Supreme court‘s verdict on Prakash Singh case forms a landmark Judgment.
Supreme Court gave the following directives:
a) Setting up of State Security Commission to ensure independence and evaluation of performance.
b) Appointment of DGP on merit based and transparent manner.
c) Separating investigation from law and order.
d) Police Establishment Board for overhauling the conditions of the board.
e) Security of tenure
f) Police Complaints Authority to look into public complaints against erring officers and ensure accountability.
g) Setting up of National Security Commission
Unfortunately, the directives have not been fully implemented by the states. Because
a) Police is an exclusive subject under the state list. Most of the states still follow the archaic Indian Police Act 1861 with few modifications
b) Politicization of police and lack of political will
c) Case Allegiance
d) Politics-Crime Nexus
e) Directives are recommendations only
A vibrant police is highly relevant to the highly insecure India that is prone to various threats from both inside and outside its geopolitical borders.