Public servants are likely to confront with the issues of “Conflict of Interest”. What do you understand by the term “Conflict of Interest” and how does it manifest in the decision making by public servants? If faced with the conflict of interest situation how would you resolve it? Explain with the help of examples.
BASIC CRUX OF THE QUESTION
• The approach should be, based on the individual mindset on a particular situation and the activities based on it. How the different situations lead to dilemma.
• The dual mindset or the preferential priorities which further resulted into the satisfaction or achievement is the prime most aspect of inner capabilities of an individual.
• Have to describe as, the stage where, the situation has checks the emotional intelligence and the ability to understand one’s own personal feelings and those of other people, and to consider other people’s feelings when making decisions.
• Indicate the examples with societal and priority based.
• Introduction- Defines the meaning of the conflict of interest.
• Body text- Exemplifies it with the certain examples and situation centric formalization of answer body is expected.
• Conclusion- Constructs the linkage how to reach to ethical decision making.
Conflict of interest is a situation which has the potential to undermine the impartiality of a person because of the possibility of a clash between the person’s self interest and professional interest or public interest.This is a situation in which a person or organization is involved in multiple interests, one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation or decision-making of that individual or organization.
Conflict of interest is a set of circumstances which creates a risk that, professional judgment or action regarding the primary interest will be unduly influenced by a secondary interest.
Primary interest refers to the principle goals of the profession or activity, such as the protection of clients, the health of patients, the integrity of research and the duties of public office.
Secondary interest includes not only financial gain but also such motives as the desire for professional advancement and the wish to do favors for family or friends.
Thus due to self-interest the decision making get affected.
For resolving the issue of conflict of interest, awareness about one’s action and its consequences is must.