IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Aman Mittal, AIR 20
- by IAS Score
IAS Score: Which is the most difficult part of this exam and why? What was your strategy for tackling this difficult part?
Aman Mittal: I think the most difficult part of the exam is certainly the mains part because of the length and importance in the final result. Tackling this requires dedicated effort and sufficient written practice before the day of the exam.
IAS Score: How did you manage your time for both Prelims and Mains examinations?
Aman Mittal: Most of the portion of prelims and mains are common. And moreover, due to CSAT, last year it was simpler to clear the prelims part.
IAS Score: What was your strategy for covering the lengthy syllabus of General Studies for both Prelims and Mains?
Aman Mittal: It is important to study the areas regularly and take the help of topic wise notes wherever possible. It must be realized that it is not possible generally to cover all portions of the syllabus. In the changed pattern, what is rather more important is the articulation of the answer which can fetch higher marks.
IAS Score: Did you integrate your Prelims or Mains preparation or was it separate?
Aman Mittal: My preparation for the prelims and mains was largely integrated. However, the small topics that are specific to prelims were covered in the month prior to prelims and those specific to mains were covered after the prelims.
IAS Score: What would be the best strategy to tackle negative marking in Prelims?
Aman Mittal: It is always best to avoid questions that one is not aware of and focus on those in which one can make a sufficiently intelligent guess.
IAS Score: GS Mains was altogether new, as current pattern is only two years old. How did you prepare for that?
Aman Mittal: Written practice is the mantra for the changed pattern of the mains examination. The focus is more on opinion and articulation rather than knowledge.
IAS Score: Have you completed the GS mains papers?
Aman Mittal: Yes. All of them.
IAS Score: Can you share some idea/strategy about attempting GS paper as it is not easy to write answer of all questions in given time-frame?
Aman Mittal: Time management is the key to success in this exam. Please divide the time as per availability and attempt the best questions first in order to provide quality answers to these.
IAS Score: What was your style of writing in the exam? How was it distinct from the general writing style? How did you develop this writing style?
Aman Mittal: I used to follow a structured approach to answer writing including an introduction, body and conclusion. I guess it was not very different from the standard way of writing.
I developed this approach during the preparation phase only when I was giving the mock tests for the mains examination.
IAS Score: How did you prepared for essay paper.
Aman Mittal: Essay is a paper that requires regular practice and feedback. I took a test series with GS Score in which essay was a part. Apart from this, I also tried to write an essay once every fortnight.
IAS Score: What were the sources of information for general reading? How did you come to know about the standard sources of reading materials?
Aman Mittal: My sources of general reading were NCERT as well as the standard texts available for the exam. Mostly, I consulted my friends for advice in choosing the study material.
IAS Score: What should be the basis of selecting optional?
Aman Mittal: The optional must be selected on the basis of one’s interest and area of strength. I had graduated in Electrical Engineering, and hence it was a natural choice of optional for me.
IAS Score: Did you follow the myth that only so called popular optional should be opted?
Aman Mittal: No
IAS Score: How did you plan your optional strategy?
Aman Mittal: I prepared my optional with the help of my father who is a professor in the same field. I also relied on the previous year’s papers to prepare the areas of greater importance.
IAS Score: How helpful are the notes? What is your advice on notes-making?
Aman Mittal: Notes are really useful during revision, though I personally did not make many of them.
My advice on note making is that it should be done topic wise and should be constantly updated and revised to avoid last minute anxiety.
IAS Score: Civil Services Exam process is quite strenuous. It requires long hours of constant study. How did you maintain your tempo and what did you do to break the monotony of preparation?
Aman Mittal: It is important to remain motivated during the course of preparation and to enjoy the studies themselves. I would seldom go out to eat with my friends or family which was a great way to break the monotony. Apart from that, I used to meditate whenever I felt that my energy levels are going down.
IAS Score: How helpful is one’s educational background in his/her success?
Aman Mittal: This exam is independent of educational background, which can only be a morale booster to have job security in case UPSC does not work out.
IAS Score: How did you prepare for interview?
Aman Mittal: I took a few mock tests (including one at GS Score) and prepared for the interview with my
friend. It is important to point out the weaknesses in each other and be able to work on them to rectify the same.
IAS Score: Which types of questions were asked in the interview?
Aman Mittal: My interview was diverse and covered many broad areas. It was quite long and exhausting. In fact the interview went tangentially into US politics, Indian foreign policy etc. for a long time (I had gone to US for a competition)
IAS Score: What is your advice to the candidates who have failed in this exam?
Aman Mittal: UPSC exam is a lot about luck and perseverance. Sometimes we feel that life is harsh on us, but connecting the dots backward we would realize in the future that those moments are important learning points in our life. Analyse what went wrong in this attempt and move on to the future, next attempt or a new venture, whatever you may choose. Never lose hope.
IAS Score: Can you disclose your marks in detail?
Essay – 136
GS 1 – 91
GS 2 – 96
GS 3 – 91
GS 4 – 91
EE 1 – 128
EE 2 – 163
Interview – 193
IAS Score: What is your suggestion/advice for future aspirants?
Aman Mittal: My simple advice is that hard Work, perseverance and faith are the most important friends in the UPSC exam. There are moments of anxiety throughout the course of preparation. I always advise aspirants to learn some form of de-stressing
- Abhijeet Sinha, IAS Rank 19 CSE 2017 from Bihar & Jharkhand, IAS Toppers Strategy
- Political Science Preparation Strategy by Tushar Gupta Rank 113, CSE 2017
- IAS Toppers Story: Ishwar Kumar Rank 187, CSE 2017
- Pooja Ranawat Rank 258, Highest 319 Marks in Pol Science, Preparation Strategy
- Abhishek Surana IAS Rank 10, CSE 2017, IAS preparation Strategy
- Fear and apprehension can’t stop us: Garima Agrawal, Rank 241, CSE 2017, IAS Toppers Story
- IAS Preparation Strategy by Jagdish Chelani Rank 57, CSE 2017
- Life in ORN (Delhi), Sunita Kumari, Rank 269, CSE 2017, Civil Services a Career or a goal
- Pol Science Preparation Strategy by Jagdish Chelani 57 Rank, 305 Marks
- Youngest topper of CSE 2017, Rank 113 Tushar Gupta, 22 year old, First attempt, pol science optional
- Public Administration Preparation Strategy by Dr. Hasrat Jasmine, AIR 226, CSE 2017
- First serious attempt, Ekta Khatri, Rank 458, Anthropology optional, IAS preparation strategy
- Mayur Suryawanshi Rank 373, 4th attempt, 308 marks in pol science, IAS preparation strategy
- Bhavesh Sharma 502 Rank, 286 Marks in History Optional: Preparation Strategy
- Highest Score in History Optional 316 Marks, History Preparation Strategy by Ishwar Kumar Rank 187
- Public Administration Preparation Strategy by Azar Zia, IAS Rank 97 CSE 2017
- Pub Ad Preparation Strategy, Rank 530 Jitendra Pratap Singh, 301 Marks in Pub Ad
- ‘Be aware of pitfalls’- Abhilash Baranwal, AIR 44, CSE 2017, 4th attempt
- A doctor, a diabetic patient and the message for all: Hasrat Jasmine, AIR 226, CSE 2017d
- Yes, it’s possible, if I can why not you!!! Mamta, IAS Rank 45 in 5th attempt CSE 2017
- Don’t Repeat Mistakes, Pooja Ranawat Rank 258, 5th attempt, without qualifying prelims in 4 attempts
- Ankit Pannu, IAS Rank 31 CSE 2017, Notes Making and Newspaper Reading Strategy
- IAS Toppers Interview, Utsav Gautam, Rank 33, CSE 2017
- Learning from the mistakes, Aparajita IAS Rank 40 CSE 2017, 3rd attempt, History Optional
- IAS Topper Bipasha Kalita CSE 2017 Rank 41, Topper from North-East States
- Holistic Approach of IAS Preparations, Swapneel Paul- IAS Rank 64, from Nagaland
- Managing Resource Effectively, strategy by IAS Topper Rahul Bhat, Rank 68, From J&K
- First and Focused attempt by an ‘average student’ Himanshu Kaushik, Rank 77, IAS topper strategy
- IAS Toppers Interview, Amol Shrivastav Rank 83, Ways to Work Smart
- Strategy of Time Management by Working Professional, Ketan Garg IAS Rank 93, CSE 2017
- IAS Toppers Strategy, Ankita Mishra Rank 105, CSE 2017, 3rd Attempt
- IAS Toppers Strategy, Saurabh Sabhlok, Rank 124, Time Management is Key to Success
- Bounce Back from Low Days, Rao Praveen Singh, Rank 152 CSE 2017, IAS Toppers Strategy
- Chasing goal till 6th and last attempt, Lavanya Gupta, AIR 298 CSE 2017, IAS toppers story
- Thanks to Seniors & Elders, IAS Preparation Strategy by Himanshu, CSE Rank 773
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: K. Dinesh Kumar IAS Rank 06 with Pol Science Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Suman Sourav Mohanty Rank 9 CSE 2016
- IAS Toppers Interview: Sidharth B Rank 15 CSE 2016, Political Science Optional
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 26 Mallika Sudhir IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016: Manuj Jindal IAS Rank 53
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Shashank Chaudhary IAS Rank 130, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Brij Shankar IAS Rank 274, 5th attempt, 4 Interview
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 306 Shashank Shekher Singh IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Jasmeet Singh Sandhu AIR 03
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Siddharth Jain AIR 13
- IAS Toppers Interview: EESHA PRIYA Rank 75 First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: IAS Rank 89 Sumant Sahay, 137 Marks in Essay
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rakesh Kumar Minhas AIR 91
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Jonnalagadda Snehaja Rank 103
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 145 Preeti Yadav, 146 Marks in Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Asim Anwar Rank 149 with Management Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Amit Suresh Tolani Rank 151
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Dr.Ravindra Goswami Rank 152
- IAS Toppers Interview: RISHAV KUMAR JHA Rank 162
- IAS Toppers Interview: Vakul Jindal Rank 174
- IAS Toppers Interview 2015: Rank 187 Rohan Botre, 113 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 548 Ashish kumar senapati, 109 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Strategy: Rank 374 Rahul Narwal, 110 Marks in Ethics (GS Paper 4)
- IAS Toppers Interview: Chandan Kumar Rank 373, Strategy for Ethics and Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Ananya Sinha Rank 259, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Shejole Shruti Ramrao Rank 690
- IAS Toppers Interview: Kirodi Lal Meena Rank 248
- IAS Toppers Interview: Anupam Rank 221
- IAS Toppers Interview: Rhea Joshi Rank 425
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Abhinav Agnihotri Rank 302 CSE 2015
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rahul Gupta Rank 306
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Govind Mohan Rank 245
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Sharat Chandra Pawar AIR 632
- IAS Toppers Interview: Nagender Bhukya Rank 733
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Akhil Goel AIR 251
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Shefali Gupta AIR 601
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Joginder Singh AIR 419
- IAS Toppers Interview 2014: Shashikant Mehta, AIR 352
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Sandeep Chaudhary, AIR 148
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Raja Gopal Sunkara, AIR 49
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2014 : Shruti Pandey, AIR 114
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Aman Mittal, AIR 20
- Interview : Aman Kumar, IPS
- TOPPERS’ TALK with ISHANI PAUL, IPS
- Interview: Mridul Choudhary, CSE 2013
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – VII
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – V
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-IV
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-III
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-II
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-I