IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Brij Shankar IAS Rank 274, 5th attempt, 4 Interview
- by IAS Score
|Rank in CSE 2016||274|
|Total Attempts in CSE||5 ( 4 TIME QUALIFIED FOR INTERVIEW)|
|Optional Subject||PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION|
|Class 10 percentage of marks||85.8|
|Class 12Percentage of marks||86.6|
|Graduation: College and marks||SVNIT,SURAT (7.98)|
|Post graduation: College and marks||NOT APPLICABLE|
|Any other course||NOT APPLICABLE|
IAS Score: What were the basic mantras of your success?
Brij Shankar: Faith in my abilities and perseverance was key to my success. As you can see that it took success a long time to come my way, keeping myself motivated year after year especially after three rejections in final stagewas very challenging. At the end of the day optimism and faith in the justice of almighty pays.
IAS Score: What were your strategies for the lengthy syllabus of General Studies for both Prelims and Mains?
Brij Shankar: Integrated approach for both on prelims and mains helps in GS preparations. Self-made short notes on contemporary topics from newspaper are very important for last minute revisions at both the stages. For mains a lot of answer writing practice is required which one can get through test series.
IAS Score: Did you integrate your Prelims or Mains preparation or was it separate in the changing scenario?
Brij Shankar: Integrated approach is must for reducing burden of vast syllabus and optimum value addition during preparations.
IAS Score: How did your prepare for essay.
Brij Shankar: I enrolled in GS Score test series for essay and referred to model essays. Yojna magazine is also very helpful in essay preparations.
IAS Score: Did you adopt any specific strategy for GS Paper 4?
Brij Shankar: I enrolled in GS Score test series and attended post-test discussion for GS-IV. It helped me a lot during writing answers in main examination.
IAS Score: What were the sources of information for general reading? How did you come to know that which sources of reading materials are standard?
Brij Shankar: Mostly from the interview of successful candidate. Also all teaching institute provides a list of standard reference materials.
IAS Score: What is your advice on notes-making for other aspirants?
Brij Shankar: Please do make short notes. It will help immensely during answer writing in mains. It will also reduce your revision time.
IAS Score: How did you manage your time during the preparation?
Brij Shankar: It was difficult to manage because of my job. But I tried to utilize whatever time I got to prepare and make notes. Google drive and other such things are very useful in making short notes from newspapers. I also took about 2 months leave before main examination.
IAS Score: What was your style (paragraph or point format)of writing in the exam? How was it distinct from the general writing style? How did you develop this writing style?
Brij Shankar: It was both mix of paragraph and point format. It generally followed the Introduction-Body- Conclusion style of answer writing. I developed my writing style by making notes from newspaper and reading the answer sheets of good candidates.
IAS Score: Civil Services Exam process is quite strenuous. It requires long hours of constant study. How did you maintain your tempo and what did you do to break the monotony of preparation?
Brij Shankar: Since I am a working professional so I use to get limited time for preparations. So, long hours of study were not the case for me. But my job helped me in breaking the monotony.
Watching movies, listening songs and doing physical exercises also helps during preparations.
IAS Score: The trend suggests that professionals or working people are more successful in this exam. Does this exam prove difficult for Humanities and Social Science background candidates?
Brij Shankar: I am not aware of any such trend. But from personal point of view, I am also a full time working professional with HPCL. Good job gives you confidence and financial security if you are not from a very well off family background. Another advantage is that Job helps you better in coping with failures. But on other hand, at times it becomes difficult to manage both job and preparations.
I don’t think this exam is difficult for humanities and social science background especially after change in CSAT pattern post -2014. Most of the engineering and medical graduates are appearing with humanities optional. Every year there is substantial number of qualified people with social science background.
IAS Score: Which sources you referred to prepare for Contemporary Issues.
Brij Shankar: Newspaper, RS TV debates and internet.
IAS Score: Given the recent boom in online initiatives to support an aspirant, which were the platforms that you find useful enough during your course of preparation. Please list the sites.
Brij Shankar: Mrunal.org, Iasscore.in, Forum IAS, IAS Baba
IAS Score: What is your advice to the candidates who is still in the process of preparing for this examination?
Brij Shankar: Friends my only advice is that if you are motivated to crack this exam then don’t get dis heartened by some failures. Learn from your mistakes and appear next time with improved strategy and knowledge base. Luck do play its part but only for those who are good enough and for that you need to work very hard.
IAS Score: Your experience in IAS preparation journey withGS Score.
Brij Shankar: I have taken Essay and GS Paper-IV test series at GS score and it helped immensely in GS preparations. My performance in GS Paper-IV is decent. I had also referred to Current affairs notes of GS score for interview.
Download Brij Shankar’s Test Copy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: K. Dinesh Kumar IAS Rank 06 with Pol Science Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Suman Sourav Mohanty Rank 9 CSE 2016
- IAS Toppers Interview: Sidharth B Rank 15 CSE 2016, Political Science Optional
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 26 Mallika Sudhir IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016: Manuj Jindal IAS Rank 53
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Shashank Chaudhary IAS Rank 130, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Brij Shankar IAS Rank 274, 5th attempt, 4 Interview
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 306 Shashank Shekher Singh IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Jasmeet Singh Sandhu AIR 03
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Siddharth Jain AIR 13
- IAS Toppers Interview: EESHA PRIYA Rank 75 First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: IAS Rank 89 Sumant Sahay, 137 Marks in Essay
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rakesh Kumar Minhas AIR 91
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Jonnalagadda Snehaja Rank 103
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 145 Preeti Yadav, 146 Marks in Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Asim Anwar Rank 149 with Management Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Amit Suresh Tolani Rank 151
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Dr.Ravindra Goswami Rank 152
- IAS Toppers Interview: RISHAV KUMAR JHA Rank 162
- IAS Toppers Interview: Vakul Jindal Rank 174
- IAS Toppers Interview 2015: Rank 187 Rohan Botre, 113 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 548 Ashish kumar senapati, 109 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Strategy: Rank 374 Rahul Narwal, 110 Marks in Ethics (GS Paper 4)
- IAS Toppers Interview: Chandan Kumar Rank 373, Strategy for Ethics and Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Ananya Sinha Rank 259, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Shejole Shruti Ramrao Rank 690
- IAS Toppers Interview: Kirodi Lal Meena Rank 248
- IAS Toppers Interview: Anupam Rank 221
- IAS Toppers Interview: Rhea Joshi Rank 425
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Abhinav Agnihotri Rank 302 CSE 2015
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rahul Gupta Rank 306
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Govind Mohan Rank 245
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Sharat Chandra Pawar AIR 632
- IAS Toppers Interview: Nagender Bhukya Rank 733
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Akhil Goel AIR 251
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Shefali Gupta AIR 601
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Joginder Singh AIR 419
- IAS Toppers Interview 2014: Shashikant Mehta, AIR 352
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Sandeep Chaudhary, AIR 148
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Raja Gopal Sunkara, AIR 49
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2014 : Shruti Pandey, AIR 114
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Aman Mittal, AIR 20
- Interview : Aman Kumar, IPS
- TOPPERS’ TALK with ISHANI PAUL, IPS
- Interview: Mridul Choudhary, CSE 2013
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – VII
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – V
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-IV
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-III
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-II
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-I