IAS Toppers Interview: Amit Suresh Tolani Rank 151
- by IAS Score
|Name||Amit Suresh Tolani|
|Rank in CSE 2015||151|
|Total Attempts in CSE||6|
|Optional Subject||Sindhi Literature|
|Class 10 percentage of marks||78%|
|Class 12Percentage of marks||77%|
|Graduation: College and marks||62%|
|Post-graduation: College and marks||–|
|Any other course||CA|
IAS Score: What were the basic mantras of your success?
Amit Suresh Tolani: To reach a destination, step1 is to start-ACT upon it. There is NO substitute to Hard work
IAS Score: What were your strategies for the lengthy syllabus of General Studies for both Prelims and Mains?
Amit Suresh Tolani: Divide the whole syllabus in smaller milestones in the form of different subjects and complete one subject at a time; solve questions of past exams (I did for past 15 years) and then get to next subject.
IAS Score: Did you integrate your Prelims or Mains preparation or was it separate in the changing scenario?
Amit Suresh Tolani: My strategy was to secure prelims first and then initiate to focus on Mains. However, I started the preparation of my Optional along with my preparation of Prelims.
For prelims, I completed the basic books and solved more of objective type questions (from both past years papers and insights on India Test papers)
For Mains, I focused more on Newspapers and solved Vision IAS and Synergy test papers.
GS Preparation for Prelims (Summary)
|Study material / Guidance||Polity : Laxmikant (special focus on Tables & boxes)
Modern History: Spectrum (special focus on chapters summary &
Economics: Shankar Ganesh
Geography: NCERT (6-12)
Mapping: World Map K. Sidhartha (Focus on Asia & Physical Map), Prem Patel-Indian Map
Environment: NCERT Biology-12thStd (Ecology section-special focus on tables & summaries) + Shankar IAS. (priority to NCERT because it will develop basic concepts)
|Current Affairs||The Hindu Newspaper + Vision IAS Current affairs|
GS Mains Preparation (Summary)
|Paper||Study Material/Guidance||Current Issues Source||Answer Writing Practice|
|GS Paper 1||World History-Old NCERT;
Geo/Indian History/Culture-source is same as prelims
|Vision test series (2 years)|
|GS Paper 2||News Paper-special focus on International relations||Secure Mains-InsightsonIndia.com|
|GS Paper 3||News Paper-special focus on International Economics & security
CBSE booklet on Disaster Management
|GS Paper 4||S. K. Mishra Sir Class at GS Score, Jawahar Book depot – MNM series book on Ethics||2 case studies every day|
Optional Subject Preparation (Summary) – ‘Sindhi Literature’
|Study material / Guidance||Paper 1:
Grammar book –An intensive course in Sindhi
‘Sindhi Itihas’ by BherumalMihirchandAdvani
‘Sindhi Sahitya and adabjitarikh’ by DrLekhwani
‘Sindhi Sahitya jo Itihas’ by DrJetley
1st hand reading of all books mentioned in UPSC syllabus (Will be issued for free by ‘National Council under Ministry of HRD for Promotion of Sindhi language; contact details available on its website)
|Answer Writing||Min 2 Pages of Answer writing everyday
Test series guidance under DrBhojrajLekhwani, Pune
IAS Score: How did your prepare for essay.
Amit Suresh Tolani: At least 1 Essay each Sunday for the practice; Compare with others in order to improve. *Do NOT neglect essay at any cost because if the student is well prepared in essay, he/she will get high marks but if not prepared, marks will be substantially low. Eg: Marks may range from 90(low)-140(high)
IAS Score: Did you adopt any specific strategy for GS Paper 4?
Amit Suresh Tolani: My strategy was to focus mainly on the case studies. I used to solve 2 case studies each day from insightsonindia.com and compare my answers with others and jot down the good points or examples from other’s answers.
Students should collect the examples of important personalities. This they can use them in the answers.
For eg: Integrity & Courage – Ex CAG Vinod Rai
For Efficiency & Professionalism – Mr ShriDharan (MetroMan)
For Probity & Uprightness – Ex IPS Officer Dr Kiran Bedi
For Knowledge without Values – Mr RamalingaRaju-Satyam Scam
For Knowledge with Values – Mahatma Gandhi
IAS Score: What were the sources of information for general reading? How did you come to know that which sources of reading materials are standard?
Amit Suresh Tolani: ToppersBlog: Superman returns; Gaurav Agarwal, RachitRaj, Mrunal.org
IAS Score: What is your advice on notes-making for other aspirants?
Amit Suresh Tolani: Always make short summary notes as they helps to- Register the information mentally (as we put in proactive efforts to prpare the same) Quick reference
IAS Score: How did you manage your time during the preparation?
Amit Suresh Tolani: I used to study in 2-2.5 hour slabs and small tea breaks. When bored, I used to solve objective type questions or watch something entertaining to refresh myself.
IAS Score: What was your style (paragraph or point format) of writing in the exam? How was it distinct from the general writing style? How did you develop this writing style?
Amit Suresh Tolani: My answer writing style was Point form.
I used to break the question into 2-4 headings to be able to write answers accordingly.
For Eg: In 2015, Que in Geo (paper 1) -‘Explain the factors responsible for the origin of ocean currents. How do they influence regional climates, fishing and navigation?’
Break of the ans for this ques will be in 5 parts-
- What are Ocean Currents?
- Factors responsible?
- Influence on Climate?
- Influence on Fishing?
- Influence on Navigation?
IAS Score: So much focus is being given to Test Series, both for Prelims and Mains, in your opinion how useful are they, in the course of a preparation process? Which Test Series did you join and how useful did you find it to be?
Amit Suresh Tolani: VERY important part of preparation for both Prelims & Mains because it shows us the mirror of our preparation level. It happens many times with students that they complete the book but still do not score in exam. Here the test series are of special relevance because these help students to assess how well he/she has understood and learnt the subject not just completed the books. It helps us to NOT be over confident.
For Prelims, I suggest previous years questions and Insights on India test papers
For Mains, Vision IAS Test papers.
IAS Score: Civil Services Exam process is quite strenuous. It requires long hours of constant study. How did you maintain your tempo and what did you do to break the monotony of preparation?
Amit Suresh Tolani: My friends were sincere upsc aspirants who helped me in my highs and lows.
Break the syllabus in short milestones.
Keep yourself entertained to avoid monotony and breakdown.
IAS Score: The trend suggests that professionals or working people are more successful in this exam. Does this exam prove difficult for Humanities and Social Science background candidates?
Amit Suresh Tolani: Absolutely NO; your sincere efforts are required irrespective of your background/caste/creed/academics/skills etc. One has to slog in some or the other way.
IAS Score: Which sources you referred to prepare for Contemporary Issues.
Amit Suresh Tolani: The Hindu, insightsonindia.com & mrunal.org
IAS Score: Given the recent boom in online initiatives to support an aspirant, which were the platforms that you find useful enough during your course of preparation. Please list the sites.
Amit Suresh Tolani:
IAS Score: What is your advice to the candidates who is still in the process of preparing for this examination?
Amit Suresh Tolani: Work Hard & Give more and more tests.
IAS Score: Your word for future aspirants
Amit Suresh Tolani: Have faith in yourself!
Amit Suresh Tolani Mark sheet
|Essay (Paper 1)||118|
|GS 1 (Paper 2)||99|
|GS 2 (Paper 3)||87|
|GS 3 (Paper 4)||102|
|GS 4 (Paper 5)||95|
|Optional 1 (Paper 6)||131|
|Optional 2 (Paper 7)||137|
- Abhijeet Sinha, IAS Rank 19 CSE 2017 from Bihar & Jharkhand, IAS Toppers Strategy
- Political Science Preparation Strategy by Tushar Gupta Rank 113, CSE 2017
- IAS Toppers Story: Ishwar Kumar Rank 187, CSE 2017
- Pooja Ranawat Rank 258, Highest 319 Marks in Pol Science, Preparation Strategy
- Abhishek Surana IAS Rank 10, CSE 2017, IAS preparation Strategy
- Fear and apprehension can’t stop us: Garima Agrawal, Rank 241, CSE 2017, IAS Toppers Story
- IAS Preparation Strategy by Jagdish Chelani Rank 57, CSE 2017
- Life in ORN (Delhi), Sunita Kumari, Rank 269, CSE 2017, Civil Services a Career or a goal
- Pol Science Preparation Strategy by Jagdish Chelani 57 Rank, 305 Marks
- Youngest topper of CSE 2017, Rank 113 Tushar Gupta, 22 year old, First attempt, pol science optional
- Public Administration Preparation Strategy by Dr. Hasrat Jasmine, AIR 226, CSE 2017
- First serious attempt, Ekta Khatri, Rank 458, Anthropology optional, IAS preparation strategy
- Mayur Suryawanshi Rank 373, 4th attempt, 308 marks in pol science, IAS preparation strategy
- Bhavesh Sharma 502 Rank, 286 Marks in History Optional: Preparation Strategy
- Highest Score in History Optional 316 Marks, History Preparation Strategy by Ishwar Kumar Rank 187
- Public Administration Preparation Strategy by Azar Zia, IAS Rank 97 CSE 2017
- Pub Ad Preparation Strategy, Rank 530 Jitendra Pratap Singh, 301 Marks in Pub Ad
- ‘Be aware of pitfalls’- Abhilash Baranwal, AIR 44, CSE 2017, 4th attempt
- A doctor, a diabetic patient and the message for all: Hasrat Jasmine, AIR 226, CSE 2017d
- Yes, it’s possible, if I can why not you!!! Mamta, IAS Rank 45 in 5th attempt CSE 2017
- Don’t Repeat Mistakes, Pooja Ranawat Rank 258, 5th attempt, without qualifying prelims in 4 attempts
- Ankit Pannu, IAS Rank 31 CSE 2017, Notes Making and Newspaper Reading Strategy
- IAS Toppers Interview, Utsav Gautam, Rank 33, CSE 2017
- Learning from the mistakes, Aparajita IAS Rank 40 CSE 2017, 3rd attempt, History Optional
- IAS Topper Bipasha Kalita CSE 2017 Rank 41, Topper from North-East States
- Holistic Approach of IAS Preparations, Swapneel Paul- IAS Rank 64, from Nagaland
- Managing Resource Effectively, strategy by IAS Topper Rahul Bhat, Rank 68, From J&K
- First and Focused attempt by an ‘average student’ Himanshu Kaushik, Rank 77, IAS topper strategy
- IAS Toppers Interview, Amol Shrivastav Rank 83, Ways to Work Smart
- Strategy of Time Management by Working Professional, Ketan Garg IAS Rank 93, CSE 2017
- IAS Toppers Strategy, Ankita Mishra Rank 105, CSE 2017, 3rd Attempt
- IAS Toppers Strategy, Saurabh Sabhlok, Rank 124, Time Management is Key to Success
- Bounce Back from Low Days, Rao Praveen Singh, Rank 152 CSE 2017, IAS Toppers Strategy
- Chasing goal till 6th and last attempt, Lavanya Gupta, AIR 298 CSE 2017, IAS toppers story
- Thanks to Seniors & Elders, IAS Preparation Strategy by Himanshu, CSE Rank 773
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: K. Dinesh Kumar IAS Rank 06 with Pol Science Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Suman Sourav Mohanty Rank 9 CSE 2016
- IAS Toppers Interview: Sidharth B Rank 15 CSE 2016, Political Science Optional
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 26 Mallika Sudhir IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016: Manuj Jindal IAS Rank 53
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Shashank Chaudhary IAS Rank 130, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Brij Shankar IAS Rank 274, 5th attempt, 4 Interview
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 306 Shashank Shekher Singh IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Jasmeet Singh Sandhu AIR 03
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Siddharth Jain AIR 13
- IAS Toppers Interview: EESHA PRIYA Rank 75 First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: IAS Rank 89 Sumant Sahay, 137 Marks in Essay
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rakesh Kumar Minhas AIR 91
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Jonnalagadda Snehaja Rank 103
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 145 Preeti Yadav, 146 Marks in Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Asim Anwar Rank 149 with Management Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Amit Suresh Tolani Rank 151
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Dr.Ravindra Goswami Rank 152
- IAS Toppers Interview: RISHAV KUMAR JHA Rank 162
- IAS Toppers Interview: Vakul Jindal Rank 174
- IAS Toppers Interview 2015: Rank 187 Rohan Botre, 113 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 548 Ashish kumar senapati, 109 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Strategy: Rank 374 Rahul Narwal, 110 Marks in Ethics (GS Paper 4)
- IAS Toppers Interview: Chandan Kumar Rank 373, Strategy for Ethics and Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Ananya Sinha Rank 259, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Shejole Shruti Ramrao Rank 690
- IAS Toppers Interview: Kirodi Lal Meena Rank 248
- IAS Toppers Interview: Anupam Rank 221
- IAS Toppers Interview: Rhea Joshi Rank 425
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Abhinav Agnihotri Rank 302 CSE 2015
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rahul Gupta Rank 306
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Govind Mohan Rank 245
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Sharat Chandra Pawar AIR 632
- IAS Toppers Interview: Nagender Bhukya Rank 733
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Akhil Goel AIR 251
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Shefali Gupta AIR 601
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Joginder Singh AIR 419
- IAS Toppers Interview 2014: Shashikant Mehta, AIR 352
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Sandeep Chaudhary, AIR 148
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Raja Gopal Sunkara, AIR 49
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2014 : Shruti Pandey, AIR 114
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Aman Mittal, AIR 20
- Interview : Aman Kumar, IPS
- TOPPERS’ TALK with ISHANI PAUL, IPS
- Interview: Mridul Choudhary, CSE 2013
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – VII
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – V
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-IV
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-III
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-II
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-I