IAS Toppers Interview: Rhea Joshi Rank 425
- by IAS Score
|Rank in CSE 2015||425|
|Total Attempts in CSE||3 (Did not clear prelims in previous attempts)|
|Class 10 percentage of marks||90%|
|Class 12 Percentage of marks||82%|
|Graduation: College and marks||Grade A (72%)|
IAS Score: What were the basic mantras of your success?
Rhea Joshi: Focus and Positivity
IAS Score: What were your strategies for the lengthy syllabus of General Studies for both Prelims and Mains?
Rhea Joshi: If one studies consistently, the syllabus does not seem that lengthy. It is only when we let things pile up till the last minute that it seems overwhelming
IAS Score: Did you integrate your Prelims or Mains preparation or was it separate in the changing scenario?
Rhea Joshi: It is the best option to integrate General Studies preparation as one has very little time after the Prelims.
GS Preparation for Prelims (Summary)
|Study material / Guidance|
|Basic Books||Standard Textbooks like Laxmikant, D.D. Basu, G.C. Leong|
GS Mains Preparation (Summary)
|Paper||Study Material/Guidance||Current Issues Source||Answer Writing Practice|
|GS Paper 1||Bipin Chandra, NCERT||GS Score Mock tests|
|GS Paper 2||Law Optional||Online Websites||“|
|GS Paper 3||Online Websites||“|
|GS Paper 4||I gave only one mock and was not able to complete it in time but I never tried to remedy that.|
Optional Subject Preparation (Summary)
|Study material / Guidance|
|Basic Books||Standard textbooks – I have found shortcut materials do not work in Law optional as your concepts are being tested.|
|Current Affairs||No special requirement but one can focus on news items related to law such as juvenile justice, death penalty etc|
|Answer Writing||No practice|
IAS Score: How did your prepare for essay.
Rhea Joshi: I gave mock tests at GS Score but failed to make any special preparation for essay paper which dearly costed me in the final rank list. Essay should not be left to “We will write whatever comes in our mind then!”
IAS Score: Did you adopted any specific strategy for GS Paper 4?
Rhea Joshi: No specific strategy but timing was a major issue.
IAS Score: What were the sources of information for general reading? How did you come to know that which sources of reading materials are standard?
Rhea Joshi: Through friends and seniors. It is important to stick to one source and read it thoroughly rather than trying to read multiple books.
IAS Score: What is your advice on notes-making for other aspirants?
Rhea Joshi: Notes or highlighting – whatever one is comfortable with. I did both.
IAS Score: How did you manage your time during the preparation?
Rhea Joshi: Since prelims was an issue for me, I spent a very long time preparing for them. Therefore, before the mains I had a lot to cover (specially since this was the first time writing mains) and inadvertently did not devote too much time to important areas such as essay, ethics etc. My sincere advice would be to integrate your entire preparation.
IAS Score: What was your style (paragraph or point format) Of writing in the exam? How was it distinct from the general writing style? How did you develop this writing style?
Rhea Joshi: Both. Depends on the question. Go with your instinct.
IAS Score: So much focus is being given to Test Series, both for Prelims and Mains, in your opinion how useful are they, in the course of a preparation process? Which Test Series did you join and how useful did you find it to be?
Rhea Joshi: Personally, I feel Test Series are extremely important. They tend to bring out problem areas be it time management, overlooking information, neglecting subjects. I joined the GS Score Test Series. Had I not given mocks I would have hardly been able to complete 10 questions in the main paper given my speed!
I would like to add that please do not take scores of mock tests as discouragement. It should motivate you to perform better.
IAS Score: Civil Services Exam process is quite strenuous. It requires long hours of constant study. How did you maintain your tempo and what did you do to break the monotony of preparation?
Rhea Joshi: Tempo was built up over a period of time for me. I really loved my optional subject which made the process less stressful. I did not deny myself breaks when I felt like it. I would treat myself with a good movie or a nice chat with friends!
IAS Score: The trend suggests that professionals or working people are more successful in this exam. Does this exam prove difficult for Humanities and Social Science background candidates?
Rhea Joshi: Every category of candidates has their own pros and cons. Arguments can be made from either side. Eg: Science students are used to writing in brevity but on the other hand humanities students have read most of the subjects before. No point having any such fears in your mind.
IAS Score: Which sources you referred to prepare for Contemporary Issues.
Rhea Joshi: Random. I wish I had regularly read the newspapers.
IAS Score: Given the recent boom in online initiatives to support an aspirant, which were the platforms that you find useful enough during your course of preparation. Please list the sites.
Rhea Joshi: Insights on India, Mrunal, ForumIAS, GS Score, Vision – but to be absolutely honest I could not be very regular with any of these sites.
IAS Score: What is your advice to the candidates who is still in the process of preparing for this examination?
Rhea Joshi: Channelise your strengths and work on your weaknesses. There is no magic formula so create your own path.
IAS Score: Your word for future aspirants
Rhea Joshi: Take this exam extremely seriously but do not make it a matter of life and death!
Rhea Joshi Marksheet
|Prelims||115.34 + 155.27|
|Essay (Paper 1)||112|
|GS 1 (Paper 2)||98|
|GS 2 (Paper 3)||82|
|GS 3 (Paper 4)||89|
|GS 4 (Paper 5)||86|
|Optional 1 (Paper 6)||131|
|Optional 2 (Paper 7)||125|
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: K. Dinesh Kumar IAS Rank 06 with Pol Science Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Suman Sourav Mohanty Rank 9 CSE 2016
- IAS Toppers Interview: Sidharth B Rank 15 CSE 2016, Political Science Optional
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 26 Mallika Sudhir IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016: Manuj Jindal IAS Rank 53
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Shashank Chaudhary IAS Rank 130, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Brij Shankar IAS Rank 274, 5th attempt, 4 Interview
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 306 Shashank Shekher Singh IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Jasmeet Singh Sandhu AIR 03
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Siddharth Jain AIR 13
- IAS Toppers Interview: EESHA PRIYA Rank 75 First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: IAS Rank 89 Sumant Sahay, 137 Marks in Essay
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rakesh Kumar Minhas AIR 91
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Jonnalagadda Snehaja Rank 103
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 145 Preeti Yadav, 146 Marks in Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Asim Anwar Rank 149 with Management Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Amit Suresh Tolani Rank 151
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Dr.Ravindra Goswami Rank 152
- IAS Toppers Interview: RISHAV KUMAR JHA Rank 162
- IAS Toppers Interview: Vakul Jindal Rank 174
- IAS Toppers Interview 2015: Rank 187 Rohan Botre, 113 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 548 Ashish kumar senapati, 109 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Strategy: Rank 374 Rahul Narwal, 110 Marks in Ethics (GS Paper 4)
- IAS Toppers Interview: Chandan Kumar Rank 373, Strategy for Ethics and Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Ananya Sinha Rank 259, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Shejole Shruti Ramrao Rank 690
- IAS Toppers Interview: Kirodi Lal Meena Rank 248
- IAS Toppers Interview: Anupam Rank 221
- IAS Toppers Interview: Rhea Joshi Rank 425
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Abhinav Agnihotri Rank 302 CSE 2015
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rahul Gupta Rank 306
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Govind Mohan Rank 245
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Sharat Chandra Pawar AIR 632
- IAS Toppers Interview: Nagender Bhukya Rank 733
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Akhil Goel AIR 251
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Shefali Gupta AIR 601
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Joginder Singh AIR 419
- IAS Toppers Interview 2014: Shashikant Mehta, AIR 352
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Sandeep Chaudhary, AIR 148
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Raja Gopal Sunkara, AIR 49
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2014 : Shruti Pandey, AIR 114
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Aman Mittal, AIR 20
- Interview : Aman Kumar, IPS
- TOPPERS’ TALK with ISHANI PAUL, IPS
- Interview: Mridul Choudhary, CSE 2013
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – VII
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – V
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-IV
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-III
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-II
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-I