IAS Toppers Interview: Vakul Jindal Rank 174
- by IAS Score
|Rank in CSE 2015||174|
|Total Attempts in CSE||3|
|Class 10 percentage of marks||95|
|Class 12Percentage of marks||90.6|
|Graduation: College and marks||B.Tech.(Computer Science)(IIT Delhi)
|Post graduation: College and marks||N.A.|
|Any other course|
IAS Score: What were the basic mantras of your success?
Vakul Jindal: Civil services is an exam which requires hard work and patience above everything else. It is a process which teaches a person many things. I enjoyed the process because it gives you an opportunity to learn so many things which you otherwise won’t and which make you a better person.
IAS Score: What were your strategies for the lengthy syllabus of General Studies for both Prelims and Mains?
Vakul Jindal: I didn’t do any special preparation for Prelims. I think the preparation for Mains takes care of Prelims. There are some topics like Polity and History which form a large part of GS paper in Prelims in which there are many things like dates, article nos., amendments etc. which can be revised in the last few weeks before prelims which can increase your score.
For mains, it is very important to focus on the optional, and particularly in science optional (physics in my case) because the syllabus is too lengthy. In my opinion, the return on efforts is much more in optional than GS.
Of course, one has to cover the syllabus of GS but one needs to know the amount of time needed to be devoted to every topic. Because time is always limited and you have to cover everything reasonably well. The time to be devoted to each topic depends on the individual and I can’t prescribe any fixed formulae.
Paper 1 has the most lengthy syllabus, so it has to be given more time for static part. For paper 2 and 3, once I covered the basics, the newspapers kept me updated. Most of the questions in paper 2 and 3 are related to current affairs and are analysis based, newspapers were the most important for them.
Paper 4 can give very good returns for your efforts, so it is advisable to give sufficient attention to this paper.
IAS Score: Did you integrate your Prelims or Mains preparation or was it separate in the changing scenario?
Vakul Jindal: I didn’t do any separate preparation for Prelims, so it was integrated in my case.
GS Mains Preparation (Summary)
|Paper||Study Material/Guidance||Current Issues Source||Answer Writing Practice|
|GS Paper 1||NCERT, Bipin Chandra, Vajiram notes,||Synergy and Vision Test Series|
|GS Paper 2||Laxmikant, Newspaper, Notes of Vision and Vajiram|
|GS Paper 3||Newspaper, NCERT, Notes of Vajiram|
|GS Paper 4||Ethics Online Class at GS Score||GS Score Ethics Test Series|
IAS Score: How did your prepare for essay.
Vakul Jindal: There is no separate preparation required for essay in terms of content. But I joined GS Score essay test series for Essay which helped me a lot in terms of writing style and presentation. Manoj Jha sir has been a big help in my preparation.
IAS Score: Did you adopt any specific strategy for GS Paper 4?
Vakul Jindal: I think doing answer writing and case studies is the best strategy for paper 4
IAS Score: What were the sources of information for general reading? How did you come to know that which sources of reading materials are standard?
Vakul Jindal: I got to know the standard sources from the successful aspirants, seniors and people preparing for the exam.
IAS Score: What is your advice on notes-making for other aspirants?
Vakul Jindal: Every person has their own way of studying. I didn’t make notes as I personally don’t find them very helpful. It is a personal choice.
IAS Score: How did you manage your time during the preparation?
Vakul Jindal: I was preparing full time for the Mains as I hadn’t joined IRPS till mains in which I got selected last year. But I made sure that I find some time for some exercise and relaxation always.
IAS Score: What was your style (paragraph or point format) Of writing in the exam? How was it distinct from the general writing style? How did you develop this writing style?
Vakul Jindal: I wrote in a mix of paragraphs and points. I developed this style keeping in mind the advice of successful aspirants and teachers and the need to communicate in a limited space and time.
IAS Score: So much focus is being given to Test Series, both for Prelims and Mains, in your opinion how useful are they, in the course of a preparation process? Which Test Series did you join and how useful did you find it to be?
Vakul Jindal: I think the Test Series are very important in the process as they help you in developing the ability to express your knowledge and ideas in the given space and time. I joined vision and synergy test series for GS. GS Score’s test series for ethics and essay.
IAS Score: Civil Services Exam process is quite strenuous. It requires long hours of constant study. How did you maintain your tempo and what did you do to break the monotony of preparation?
Vakul Jindal: It is very important to maintain your motivation and drive in the process. It was the prospect of making a difference in the lives of people and the fact that I had left a very lucrative career in Computer Science that kept me going.
I usually broke the monotony by going out, watching movies etc.
IAS Score: The trend suggests that professionals or working people are more successful in this exam. Does this exam prove difficult for Humanities and Social Science background candidates?
Vakul Jindal: This exam is not difficult for Humanities and Social Science students and there are many examples of successful candidates from these fields.
IAS Score: Which sources you referred to prepare for Contemporary Issues.
Vakul Jindal: Newspapers were the main source to prepare for contemporary and current issues.
IAS Score: Given the recent boom in online initiatives to support an aspirant, which were the platforms that you find useful enough during your course of preparation. Please list the sites.
Vakul Jindal: I occasionally referred to mrunal.org and insightsonindia.com
IAS Score: What is your advice to the candidates who is still in the process of preparing for this examination?
Vakul Jindal: I would advise them to work hard and give it their best. Try to be calm and patient. This exam is not the end of the world. There are many other opportunities in life which come in a person’s life. Being calm will only enhance their performance.
Vakul Jindal Mark sheet
|Essay (Paper 1)||121|
|GS 1 (Paper 2)||88|
|GS 2 (Paper 3)||76|
|GS 3 (Paper 4)||94|
|GS 4 (Paper 5)||71|
|Optional 1 (Paper 6)||137|
|Optional 2 (Paper 7)||131|
Click Here to download test copy of Vakul Jindal
- Abhijeet Sinha, IAS Rank 19 CSE 2017 from Bihar & Jharkhand, IAS Toppers Strategy
- Political Science Preparation Strategy by Tushar Gupta Rank 113, CSE 2017
- IAS Toppers Story: Ishwar Kumar Rank 187, CSE 2017
- Pooja Ranawat Rank 258, Highest 319 Marks in Pol Science, Preparation Strategy
- Abhishek Surana IAS Rank 10, CSE 2017, IAS preparation Strategy
- Fear and apprehension can’t stop us: Garima Agrawal, Rank 241, CSE 2017, IAS Toppers Story
- IAS Preparation Strategy by Jagdish Chelani Rank 57, CSE 2017
- Life in ORN (Delhi), Sunita Kumari, Rank 269, CSE 2017, Civil Services a Career or a goal
- Pol Science Preparation Strategy by Jagdish Chelani 57 Rank, 305 Marks
- Youngest topper of CSE 2017, Rank 113 Tushar Gupta, 22 year old, First attempt, pol science optional
- Public Administration Preparation Strategy by Dr. Hasrat Jasmine, AIR 226, CSE 2017
- First serious attempt, Ekta Khatri, Rank 458, Anthropology optional, IAS preparation strategy
- Mayur Suryawanshi Rank 373, 4th attempt, 308 marks in pol science, IAS preparation strategy
- Bhavesh Sharma 502 Rank, 286 Marks in History Optional: Preparation Strategy
- Highest Score in History Optional 316 Marks, History Preparation Strategy by Ishwar Kumar Rank 187
- Public Administration Preparation Strategy by Azar Zia, IAS Rank 97 CSE 2017
- Pub Ad Preparation Strategy, Rank 530 Jitendra Pratap Singh, 301 Marks in Pub Ad
- ‘Be aware of pitfalls’- Abhilash Baranwal, AIR 44, CSE 2017, 4th attempt
- A doctor, a diabetic patient and the message for all: Hasrat Jasmine, AIR 226, CSE 2017d
- Yes, it’s possible, if I can why not you!!! Mamta, IAS Rank 45 in 5th attempt CSE 2017
- Don’t Repeat Mistakes, Pooja Ranawat Rank 258, 5th attempt, without qualifying prelims in 4 attempts
- Ankit Pannu, IAS Rank 31 CSE 2017, Notes Making and Newspaper Reading Strategy
- IAS Toppers Interview, Utsav Gautam, Rank 33, CSE 2017
- Learning from the mistakes, Aparajita IAS Rank 40 CSE 2017, 3rd attempt, History Optional
- IAS Topper Bipasha Kalita CSE 2017 Rank 41, Topper from North-East States
- Holistic Approach of IAS Preparations, Swapneel Paul- IAS Rank 64, from Nagaland
- Managing Resource Effectively, strategy by IAS Topper Rahul Bhat, Rank 68, From J&K
- First and Focused attempt by an ‘average student’ Himanshu Kaushik, Rank 77, IAS topper strategy
- IAS Toppers Interview, Amol Shrivastav Rank 83, Ways to Work Smart
- Strategy of Time Management by Working Professional, Ketan Garg IAS Rank 93, CSE 2017
- IAS Toppers Strategy, Ankita Mishra Rank 105, CSE 2017, 3rd Attempt
- IAS Toppers Strategy, Saurabh Sabhlok, Rank 124, Time Management is Key to Success
- Bounce Back from Low Days, Rao Praveen Singh, Rank 152 CSE 2017, IAS Toppers Strategy
- Chasing goal till 6th and last attempt, Lavanya Gupta, AIR 298 CSE 2017, IAS toppers story
- Thanks to Seniors & Elders, IAS Preparation Strategy by Himanshu, CSE Rank 773
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: K. Dinesh Kumar IAS Rank 06 with Pol Science Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Suman Sourav Mohanty Rank 9 CSE 2016
- IAS Toppers Interview: Sidharth B Rank 15 CSE 2016, Political Science Optional
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 26 Mallika Sudhir IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016: Manuj Jindal IAS Rank 53
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Shashank Chaudhary IAS Rank 130, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2016 – 2017: Brij Shankar IAS Rank 274, 5th attempt, 4 Interview
- IAS Topper Interview 2016-2017: Rank 306 Shashank Shekher Singh IAS Prepraion Strategy
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Jasmeet Singh Sandhu AIR 03
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Siddharth Jain AIR 13
- IAS Toppers Interview: EESHA PRIYA Rank 75 First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: IAS Rank 89 Sumant Sahay, 137 Marks in Essay
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rakesh Kumar Minhas AIR 91
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Jonnalagadda Snehaja Rank 103
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 145 Preeti Yadav, 146 Marks in Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Asim Anwar Rank 149 with Management Optional
- IAS Toppers Interview: Amit Suresh Tolani Rank 151
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Dr.Ravindra Goswami Rank 152
- IAS Toppers Interview: RISHAV KUMAR JHA Rank 162
- IAS Toppers Interview: Vakul Jindal Rank 174
- IAS Toppers Interview 2015: Rank 187 Rohan Botre, 113 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Rank 548 Ashish kumar senapati, 109 Marks in Ethics
- IAS Topper’s Strategy: Rank 374 Rahul Narwal, 110 Marks in Ethics (GS Paper 4)
- IAS Toppers Interview: Chandan Kumar Rank 373, Strategy for Ethics and Essay
- IAS Toppers Interview: Ananya Sinha Rank 259, First Attempt
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Shejole Shruti Ramrao Rank 690
- IAS Toppers Interview: Kirodi Lal Meena Rank 248
- IAS Toppers Interview: Anupam Rank 221
- IAS Toppers Interview: Rhea Joshi Rank 425
- IAS Topper’s Interview: Abhinav Agnihotri Rank 302 CSE 2015
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Rahul Gupta Rank 306
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Govind Mohan Rank 245
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Sharat Chandra Pawar AIR 632
- IAS Toppers Interview: Nagender Bhukya Rank 733
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2015: Akhil Goel AIR 251
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Shefali Gupta AIR 601
- IAS TOPPERS INTERVIEW 2014: Joginder Singh AIR 419
- IAS Toppers Interview 2014: Shashikant Mehta, AIR 352
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Sandeep Chaudhary, AIR 148
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Raja Gopal Sunkara, AIR 49
- IAS Topper’s Interview 2014 : Shruti Pandey, AIR 114
- IAS TOPPER’S INTERVIEW 2014 : Aman Mittal, AIR 20
- Interview : Aman Kumar, IPS
- TOPPERS’ TALK with ISHANI PAUL, IPS
- Interview: Mridul Choudhary, CSE 2013
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – VII
- IAS Interview Strategy Series – V
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-IV
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-III
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-II
- IAS Interview Strategy Series-I